Sunday, June 7, 2009

OH BOY!!!! These socks are gonna have to come off the hard way!

I laughed. Hard. Many times. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on in the back seat to inspire these emphatic words from my five year old .... but again, I laughed. Hard. Many times. And then as parents do, I repeated it. Many times.


What is interesting is each person I told came up with their own "moral to the story". One friend even called me a few days later to share her own story of the day, and how it made her think of what my Little One said about her socks....huh? But we all do that don't we? We seek meaning in everything. Purpose is implied just by occurrence.


So I followed suit. I thought about how often we do easy things the hard way. Thinking back on all we do in a day how many of us would list taking off our socks as hard? "OH BOY, I guess these socks are gonna have to come off the hard way!" Say it out loud. Add the playful seriousness of a five year old and say it again. After you smile, then think of all you did today. What did you make harder than it needed to be?


I'm also reminded that so often, the hard way to accomplish an easy task is actually the best way. If I want my house clean it is easier to do it myself. My daughter can tie her karate belt, but it is easier and faster if her brother does it. Walking or riding a bike to the park provides much needed exercise, but driving is so much faster! Parents know that the easy way for their kids isn't necessarily the best way. We want them to learn responsibility, discipline, how to overcome adversity, the joy of a job well done, etc. Are we now exempt from this wisdom?


As I compose this blog I remind my son that until his math book is complete he has no TV privileges. (long story starting with lying about math homework...) I watched him get up and go outside to play. His choice. I know that the easiest solution is to buckle down and just get the darn book done. Freedom is the reward!!!! He will procrastinate, probably end up with additional consequences along the way, be so sad when the family is watching a new movie and he is excluded... my heart will break....but it's not about me, or what is easier.


And now as a Christian, who stayed home from church this morning to enjoy the peace and quiet of an empty house, I think about a spiritual application.


My yoke is easy and my burden light. Matthew 11:30


When I think of Christ as my work partner I am so grateful to have a partner who carries His weight...plus mine most of the time!!! Remember the dread of partner assignments in college where the other person let you do all the work? And how nice it was to actually get to pick someone who helped carry the load? I have found such freedom, such outright liberty in sharing my yoke with Christ. It may seem an oxymoron to find liberty in being "yoked" to another. We are all yoked to something. We all have an authority. Exercising my liberty I pick up burdens along the way that are very heavy....but Christ isn't one of them. I strive to stick with Him, but when I detour He's still right there. So when the socks need to come off the hard way....


Here I am back where I began. Really it was just a cute incident, one of many in the life of a growing family. It means just what it was. My daughter wanted her socks off. She was strapped in a car seat with limited mobility and knee high socks under tight jeans. "OH BOY, These socks are gonna have to come off the hard way!" Still makes me laugh.


For some tasks, you're presented an opportunity to do things the
easy way or the hard way.
While your friend is proudly showing off his work at replacing a light fixture, the switch and all the wiring, you might be thinking,
why not just replace the dead bulb?








No comments:

Post a Comment